Monday, March 2, 2009

Ripple Escola de Samba perform at Music for Youth in Lambeth

Our Samba band took part in the Music for Youth national competition on Thursday 27th February 2009.
We were very nervous as we approached Upney Station. Luckily, we met lots of pensioners on the train; we told them about where we were going and they encouraged us.
We arrived at Morley College and saw that the other contestants were starting to gather. We knew what we were up against. There were a variety of other performers from choral singers to ukulele players. Some were dressed in suits and looked really old; others were dressed in their school uniform. We really enjoyed watching the jazz band and the choirs but our favourites were the ukulele band because they were crazy and very entertaining.
Finally it was our turn; the moment of truth had arrived... We picked up our instruments, moved into our positions and waited for Mr Marshall to start arguing with Michael to see who was best at drumming. We all knew who it was and acted our part with style. We were BRILLIANT!! The movement was excellent; we all remembered what to do and were looking at Mr Marshall all the time. Lots of people were smiling – especially when Mr Marshall looked at us; it really helped us to laugh and remember our steps and movement. Every time we had a break in the drum and base groove, we posed in our silent positions; the crowd went wild because they thought we had finished. The plan had worked. We fooled them by coming back in together perfectly. Our carnival movement during the Batucada went down a storm. You could tell the audience were itching to join in and expressed this through their enthusiastic clapping. The starbursts of break two were particularly striking! When we watched it back on the video, we looked amazing and were all so much more confident than when we performed to our friends in Y5+6.
The judges said that we had ‘brought the sunshine of the Brazilian carnival to Lambeth’.
The crowd loved us. What about you?!
Please have a look at the short video clip below and let us know what you think.

49 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Samba Club. This is fantastic! I wholeheartedly agree with the comment from the judge who said you, "brought the sunshine of the Brazilian carnival to Lambeth!"
You should feel very proud of yourselves and of all the teachers and staff who have helped you perform so brilliantly! Well done, everyone. I shall be pointing all my friends to the blog to see this snippet of your excellent Samba playing.

Anonymous said...

Muento bão(that's 'well done' in Portugese) to everyone. This was your best performance yet. You were like true professionals. I was very impressed with the way you all watched Mr Marshall really carefully and with your smiles and movement (which were a great way to show the audience how much you were enjoying the performance). The choreography was a challenge but you made it look much easier than it really was (another sign of how professional you are all becoming). All of your hard work and effort has been rewarded. You were awesome! I am really proud of you all.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was cool

Anonymous said...

samba you rock keep trying so you can get in the finals

Anonymous said...

hey this gig was AWESOME!!!!
I LOVED the ukelele players from west wickham but i thought that they were no match for...

!RIPPLE ESCOLA DE SAMBA!

Anonymous said...

P.S:U rock

Anonymous said...

u looked cool man u rock u were great

Anonymous said...

the samba was awsome

Anonymous said...

UR BAND IZ SO KL 'N' WEN U SHOWED US IT WOZ WICKED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

it was realy cool
and I enjoyed it ....

Anonymous said...

u were great u rocked

Anonymous said...

samba was wicked i loved it 'n' i liked all the multi colured looks.

Anonymous said...

fantastic effort put in work
good dancers in samba.
lol

Anonymous said...

That rocked man!!! bum, bum bum bum,it was all you!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS SAMBA DE ESCOLA

Anonymous said...

I wasn't nervous at all! My favourite part was 3rd break in the batucada because we got it right!! And I like the mini-guitars because when they sang, they smiled and laughed :)

Anonymous said...

well done samba club,
U ROCK!!!
hope u get into the finals!!!
u people rocked!!!

Anonymous said...

I thought the people palying the mini gutars were realy funny.the teens called 11 voices were realy good and when they were singing apologise.

Anonymous said...

samba was an enjoyable performance
well done

Anonymous said...

ripple escola de samba rules!!
:-)

Anonymous said...

samda club rules and we will win this compotion <(-_-)> + )
+ (*_________________________*)

Anonymous said...

samba did great,the judges comments where spectacular

Anonymous said...

Wow! that was great i will be showing my mates the clip of that wonderful performance !!!!

Anonymous said...

GREAT WORK!!!! U ROCK!!!
HOPE U GO TO THE FINALES. UR PERFORMACE HAD TO BE THE BEST OUT OF ALL OF THE OTHER CONTESTANTS.

GREAT WORK MR MARSHALL, UR THE BEST SAMBA TEACHER!

WELLDONE, HOPE U ALL HAD A GREAT TIME THERE!

Anonymous said...

Wow! We all liked it a lot. We liked the way you did the rhythm. It was a bit noisy though. But we thought it was the best, amazing, FANTASTIC! We'd love to hear it played outdoors. Some of us want to join the samba band next year.

Anonymous said...

the samba people is exelent and ripple junior school is the best!!!!!!! EVER!!

Anonymous said...

I love ripple school IS THE BEST!!!!!

Anonymous said...

samba in the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!

Anonymous said...

y.r.r.j.s.

Anonymous said...

exelent samba people!!!!

Anonymous said...

Samba Club You Rock Keep It Up. You Made It Look Good Because You Kept On Steppin side to side and it looked awesome! Remember To Smile Next Time But Well Done!

Anonymous said...

Mm hmm. We have so many gifted and talented musical performers at our school. I'm so proud of you all. Keep up the very excellent work everybody.

WELL DONE!!

Anonymous said...

I told all my friends and showed them they......LOVED IT they said its better then there school drummers!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

we are so excellent at drumming.

Anonymous said...

Well done! You were great in that video I wish I was still in year six and could perform that with you all. Your best performance ever.

Anonymous said...

wow! Samba you rocked the place down wow!
Liyah and Kimora 3CA

Anonymous said...

Wowwwwwwwww you really rock those are the best professionals i ever saw in my life.

Anonymous said...

I really Liked it x I'm gonnah miss this school. x

Alia said...

U guys rock,man! I'm sure you guys did a fantastic job. I just wish I was back in Ripple again! I miss you all!!! Miss Fitzpatrick, it's me, Alia..... ring a bell?

Miss Fitzpatrick said...

Hi Alia,

I'm really pleased to see that you are checking up on what we are doing. Of course I remember you! We really wish you were still here too but I think that you live a bit too far away and have got a bit too old for us now! I hope you are enjoying your new school in Malaysia.

Caroline Halahan said...

What a fantastic performance you gave tonight at the Music Service Ensemble. Keep up the excellnnt work. Emma who was playing in the contra band thought it was a brillant performance.

Alia said...

Hi miss Fitzparick,
the school here is okay.....though its a private school.
can u please tell ms williams i say hi? should i give u my email so we can keep touch?

beth said...

i know we will get into the finals as we were great and the 3rd brake was the best!!

Miss Fitzpatrick said...

Hi Alia,

Miss Williams was really pleased to hear from you. She wants to know all about your new school and firends.
Unfortunately, we aren't allowed to give our email addresses out, but we will keep checking for your comments on the blog.

Alia said...

hi miss fitz,
maybe, can i have the school's email then?

Hafsah said...

Hi

That video was very good it kept my brothers and sisters rocking away you are the best can't wait to hear more!!

Lots of love
Hafsah

oyinkan 4RS said...

great drumming i could never drum as good as u guys keep it up

by the way this me writting from my laptop on a plane

marko 4sg said...

This was the best thing ever I ever heard in my life!WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

saumiah said...

they were great